Engineering is a very broad discipline covering almost all-important aspects of life. Engineering can be applied in almost everything and is composed of a lot of sub-disciplines from the most common professions like civil engineering, mechanical, chemical, computer and electrical engineering to the new disciplines like hybrid engineering or combinations of two major engineering disciplines.
Engineering professionals are some of the well-respected and highly paid professionals in the industry due to the important application of their expertise and the extensive education and training they undergo. To become a good engineer, investment in education is an important factor not only in order to gain the education and training needed but also to provide the best engineering products and services.
Getting the best education from the best engineering schools is also a must especially for those who want to land the best engineering jobs on their chosen specific engineering field. When it comes to the top engineering schools, here are some of the best colleges and universities in the country today.
- Massachusetts Institute Of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge is probably one of the most popular schools for engineering not only in the country but also worldwide. The institute offers the best undergraduate engineering program based on the U.S. News ranking. Enrolling in the engineering program of MIT requires proper preparation since this prestigious institute receives a lot of applications every year but only admits a limited number of students qualified for the engineering programs.
Prospective students can choose from Early Action and Regular Action application options. Requirements for application include:
- Biographical form
- Essays consisting of short-response questions, and self-reported coursework
- Two recommendation letters, one from a math or science teacher and another one from a language or social science teacher
- Transcript of record from previous schools attended
- Standardized testing such as SAT, ACT and TOEFL for international students
- Midyear Report
For freshmen applicants, deadline of application is January 1 with the early action deadline set to November 1. Scores from SAT and ACT must be submitted on or before February 15. The application fee is $75.
- Stanford University
Stanford University in California is the second best accredited undergraduate engineering program ranked by the U.S. News. Stanford University Engineering offers wide range of engineering courses such as aeronautics and astronautics, bioengineering, chemical, civil and environmental, computer, electrical, materials science, management science, and mechanical engineering.
- Official Testing which includes SAT and ACT
- School report and official transcripts
- Evaluations or recommendations from two teaches
- First-year common application
- College Scholarship Service Profile if applicable
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid if applicable
Deadline for freshmen applications as well as submission of ACT and SAT scores are on January 1 with the deadline for early action application on November 1. The application fee is $90.
- California Institute Of Technology
California Institute of Technology is the third best undergraduate engineering program ranked by U.S. News. Located in Pasadena, California, this institute is focused on sciences and engineering programs. The admission to the programs are very competitive that is why students who want to enter the school must prepare the necessary requirements early on and do great on various testing requirements in order to qualify for the engineering undergraduate programs.
- Freshman application instruction downloadable from the official website of the school
- Common application form also downloadable from the school’s website
- Teacher evaluation form
- School report and midyear report
- Home school supplement
- Testing requirements such SAT, ACT and TOEFL
Deadline for application is January 1 and for early action applicants, deadline is on November 1. ACT and SAT scores must be submitted before December 31. Application fee is $65.
- University Of California – Berkeley
University of California Berkeley is another top ranked university when it comes to engineering undergraduate programs. Admission to the prestigious university is very competitive and applicants must undergo and accomplish 2 application processes in order to get qualified for the limited slots. The two processes include the admission and the selection processes.
- Applicants must first finish the 15 college preparatory courses required by the school including social sciences, mathematics, English, laboratory science, and visual and performing arts.
- GPA score of 3 or higher
- ACT Plus Writing and SAT Reasoning Test
- Passed the Entry-Level Writing Requirement
- Georgia Institute Of Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia is ranked 5th in the best engineering undergraduate programs in the country. The institute offers several engineering undergraduate programs as well as dual degree programs, master’s degree programs, and doctorate degree programs in engineering. All engineering programs are accredited by ABET’s Engineering Accreditation Commission.
- For freshmen applicants, applications are only open during fall and summer terms.
- Completed Application Freshman Admission plus the non-refundable application fee
- SAT I and ACT scores submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admission
- Self-reported Academic Record or SRAR covering the first 3 years of high school plus the grading systems used and the advanced courses earned by the applicant
The colleges and universities mentioned above are the universities with the best undergraduate engineering programs with doctorate programs as their highest engineering degree offered. U.S News also ranked the best undergraduate engineering programs in universities or colleges with no doctorate programs in engineering. Based on the U.S News ranking, these best undergraduate engineering programs are offered by:
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Harvey Mudd College
- United States Military Academy
- United States Air Force Academy
- United States Naval Academy
Aside from the top 5 engineering undergraduate programs, there are also a lot of engineering programs included on the U.S. News ranking of best engineering undergraduate programs. These top ranked schools or universities are the University of Illinois – Urbana Champaign, university of Michigan – Ann Arbor, Carnegie Mellon University, Cornell University, and Princeton University.
Most of the top engineering schools and institutes in the country require good to excellent performance or grades during high school to aspiring engineers who want to enter one of these top ranked schools must perform will in high school in order to increase their chances of getting admitted.